VOLUNTEER at COVE
As a volunteer you are a lifeline of this organization. We hope that you will be both active and involved, and your experiences will be both challenging and rewarding. We thank you for the time you give to us, and hope that whether the shift you are working is quiet and uneventful, or whether things seem to be racing out of control, that you know that your contribution as a COVE Volunteer is extremely valuable.
We never want to put our volunteers into situations that make them uncomfortable. When in doubt, please ask the office staff, or, if you are alone and a decision has to be made, contact the person on call. At some point down the road, you may be faced with a challenging situation and will just have to make your own judgment call. Just remember that we are always ready to back you up. We ask that you try to be professional, that you think first of our clients and their security, and that you try to protect the reputation of COVE and the Women’s Shelter. Sometimes these priorities may seem to be in conflict, but common sense generally is all you need to solve the problem.
SKILLS THAT YOU WILL NEED…
1. Responsibility: You must be reliable.
2. Confidentiality: This is a must-lives may depend upon it!
3. Interpersonal Communication Skills: Strive to be an active listener.
4. Non-judgmental: You must be open minded to differing personal values
5. Respectful: Work to empower the clients, not over-power them. You are there to help the client make her own decisions-not give advice.
6. Good boundaries: Knowing your own limitations and having the ability to say "NO!” when necessary to guard your own personal time.
7. Empathy: Not sympathy and definitely not pity!
8. Willingness to learn: Gain understanding of the dynamics of Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Homelessness.
9. Genuine interest in others: Most of all-just love people!
We have several events and ongoing volunteer opportunities.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these positions please contact Judy, COVE Volunteer Coordinator
(231) 843-2541 x26